Friday, July 13, 2012

Some Product and Pattern Reviews













I've just finished The Elise Shawl (pattern by Evan Plevinsky) that I've been working on between other projects for a few months.  I'll soon be teaching a class on this shawl at Windy Knitty.  

Since the pattern is relatively simple, I decided to try a couple new things with it.  First, I used Hemp For Knitting, which  feels a little different than more traditional yarns.  Second, I decided now is the time to try out my new Blocking Mats.


Hemp for Knitting (TM)

My reviews?

Hemp for Knitting:  8 out of 10

Because I'm allergic to wool and most other animal fibers (I can work with them, but can't really wear them against my bare skin), I'm constantly on the look-out for natural fibers that aren't animal-based.  So I was excited to try Hemp for Knitting (pictured above).  It comes in a wide variety of luscious colors, and is very reasonably priced.  When working with it, I find that the feel of the yarn is very stiff;  and the fibers are not continuous, giving the yarn an appearance similar to the split ends your hair gets if you blow-dry it too much (the curse of every curly-haired girl who wants straight hair - see 1970s).  It takes a little while to get used to the unusual texture.  On the other hand, the stitches really hold their shape, so it's easy to see exactly where to put your crochet hook.  One friend had knit a sleeveless top for herself out of the DK weight in this yarn, and after washing and blocking, it had a very soft hand to it.  Another friend had crocheted a cover for her Kindle out of the same weight I used here (sock?  lace?).  She hadn't washed or blocked it, but it also had a soft texture, which she said just happened over time from handling.  All in all, I thought it would do very nicely for the shawl.   About half-way through the project, I can't say I was particularly thrilled with how the yarn was stitching up.  It seemed kind of meh, compared to other photos I've seen of this shawl.

Pre-Blocking

But I had a deadline and didn't want to start over, so I finished the shawl.  This morning, I decided that for a store sample, the project was large enough, so I did the edging row and wove in the ends.  Then I I ever-so-carefully placed the finished garment into a lingerie bag, and threw it in the washing machine with several other items of similar color.  I washed it on cold / permanent press.  It washed up beautifully, with no loss of color.  There was no unraveling in any of the places where I'd joined new yarn, and the "split-ends" seemed to felt into the rest of the fibers.  So far so good.  Based on the other finished projects I've seen in this fiber,  I expect excellent results.  So all in all - I recommend this yarn for summer projects.  My only objection is that the yarn is made in China, and I prefer to buy American whenever possible.  Still - I do have to say, the results are pretty wonderful.  Here is my crochet student, Ritu, modeling the shawl.

How cute is she?!


Blocking Mats by Knit Picks:  6 out of 10

I was very excited to get these because up until now, I had been using the bed in my guest bedroom for blocking.  When I opened the box, I found several of the squares were stained or dirty, so first I had to scrub them all with dish soap and a brush.  This did not make me happy.  A brand-new product should come out of the box in pristine condition.  The pieces did fit together nicely, with no gaps or uneven places.  However, I notice that the pieces are too thin for standard blocking pins, so the pins must still be placed at an angle, and I don't recommend using these mats on top of a piece of wood furniture (my table has a pad).  All in all, even using these mats, I'll probably still use them on the bed in my guest room more often than not.  Another problem I had was that even using all the squares, I really needed about 5 additional squares to get the size I wanted.  Although they can be configured to various shapes, I still would have liked a larger surface on which to block my shawl.  Fortunately, I'd made the shawl a little smaller than I normally would have done so that it would be ready to be used as a store sample.  But I will probably buy another set of these mats so that I have enough to block larger projects in the future.  The good news?  They're not particularly expensive.


Could have used additional blocking mat space.

The Elise Shawl Pattern:  9 out of 10

I really like this pattern.  It's intricate enough to be interesting, but simple enough to work on while watching television, or chatting, or sitting in a doctor's waiting room.  Since it's made with sock or lace weight yarn, it's fairly portable, especially at the beginning.  Once the initial part of the shawl is completed, there is a two-row repeat.  Because the pattern comes with written instructions and a stitch diagram, it's a great project for advanced beginner to intermediate level crocheters.  The diagram is not the most professionally done I've ever seen, but it's still easy to understand and follow.  And really, I'm not exactly the most proficient stitch diagrammer on the planet, myself.  The final piece has a very lacy appearance - perfect for summer.  The picot edging is somewhat underwhelming - but you can always add a more exciting edging or even fringe if you prefer.  This is a free pattern, which makes the uninteresting edging quite forgivable.




So there you have it.

Hemp for Knitting:  8 out of 10
Knit Picks Blocking Mats:  6 out of 10
Elise Shawl Pattern:  9 out of 10
Getting it done in time for my class:  Priceless

Close-up of stitch pattern, after washing, during blocking.

1 comment: