Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Joy of Teaching

Here's a photo of my Tuesday night crochet class.  These four ladies have become not only students, but friends.  This is what sharing needlework can do.  Our hands are busy, but we're free to talk and learn about each other while we're learning crochet.  I liken it to the quilting circles of the 19th century (though I'm sure there are present-day quilting circles as well).  There are many hobbies and interests in which to form lasting friendships.  There are team sports, individual sports, bands, choirs, book clubs, cooking classes, nature tours, yoga classes, and heaven only knows what else. But there's something uniquely intimate about sitting around someone's living room crocheting (or knitting, needlepointing...) that even open-knit-night at a favorite LYS (mine is Windy Knitty) can't quite equal.  I'm very grateful to my four new friends, Miranda, Karin, Maya and our hostess, Cass for inviting me to be part of their lives.  I love watching their skills grow and learning about who they are as women.

Left to right:  Miranda, Cass, Yours Truly, Karin, Maya
(photo taken by my sister, who joined our group one evening, though I still
can't get her to pick up a hook)





It'd be even more fun if they's stop making fun of me all the time.  :o)

1 comment: