Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Swirl: A Ruffled Moebius


Here is your first chance at a Yarnover Chicago original pattern.  This is a ruffled moebius scarf I designed for my beginning crochet classes at Sifu Design Studio and Fine Yarns, on Clark Street in Chicago.  The original pattern was called The Sifu Swirl, but I changed it to The Swirl for purposes of this blog.  The photos are of Lisa Whiting, owner of Sifu Design Studio and Fine Yarns, modeling the finished creation, made in Cascade 220.  If you stop by Sifu, you can see the scarf up close and personal.

I like this scarf because it's super warm.  If you make it a little longer than is called for in the pattern, you can double it up.  I do recommend that you use a nice soft yarn.  A number of my students tried this pattern in worsted weight crochet cotton (the kind you often see used for tote bags or dishcloths).  The results were pretty, but very stiff and dense, and not comfortable to wear.  Since I'm allergic to wool, I've made a few of these using Lion Brand Cotton Ease and they came out pretty nicely.

This is a free pattern.  Feel free to download and share.  If you're using it to teach a class, I'd very much appreciate it if you'd have each student download his/her own copy.  Feel free to sell these at craft fairs and the like.  If you choose to sell on ETSY or other similar on-line marketplaces, please be sure to include a link to the pattern.

I hope you enjoy this easy-as-pie beginner pattern.


5 comments:

  1. It's beautifuli guess I need to learn to crochet soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those colors look great together, I never would have thought to pair them like that. It looks like a sort of dark teal with a russet? Can you tell us what colors you used?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa picked them out and then kept the labels for her records. I will see if I can find out the exact colorways and report back. :o)

    ReplyDelete